Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Moroccan suspect with links to Al Qaida released in Germany

I just red on my former hometown newspaper Augsburger Allgemeine that Germany released a Moroccan suspect who had close contacts with some of the people involved in 9/11 because for the time being they lacked enough evidence to keep him incarcarated. What is your take on it? I'm getting sick and tired of the PC. Not that I don't love my fellow man even if he is other than Christian but we keep denying ourselves to acknowledge what Islam really stands for. How many are out there that take the effort to read about Islam? Otherwise how else can it be that we are so blockheaded?

2 Comments:

At April 24, 2006 6:08 PM, Blogger hashfanatic said...

In Augsburg? Hmmm...

I would think that a lot of it has to do with the fact that Americans feel far more comfortable discussing religion then Germans do, even at home. I have friends and relatives there, and I can tell you, I've seen people get visibly uncomfortable at the mere mention of religion or spirituality. It's a subject no one's willing to tackle.

On the other hand, they outright ban anti-Semitic and racist speech, so it could be they are walking a tight line when it comes to everyone else.

I've seen the German government go after new-agey stuff like Scientology and the like, because they chalk it up at cultism and approach it from the point of view that faiths that they see as having aspects of mind control are damaging to the country. I'm not sure they see that as religion, outright, anyway.

A lot of it varies by region as well (as it does in the States).

 
At November 02, 2006 7:45 PM, Blogger Andy said...

Hi hashfanatic, I'm sorry that I haven't gotten back sooner. I just found out that you can set it in a way that you will be notified if someone leaves a new comment. Have you ever been to Germany? It sounds like it. You're right about Germans feeling uncomfortable to discuss religion. It's considered personal. However the same are very surprised that at Christian seminaries they meet people they know and say, "You are a Christian too?"

I was this year in Germany during the first week of the World Cup. And even so I did not come over for the soccer event, it was really surprising to me that after six decades Germans fealt good about showing their colors again. It made me feel good about my own country in a way I never knew I could.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home